Global Health/Emergency Response Training
The opportunity now exists for EPECARE to educate and train the next generation of humanitarian responders in global health and disaster response. Through didactic presentations and practical skill sessions offered by in-house and guest lecturers who are subject matter experts in their topic areas, participants will gain familiarity with best practices and recognized standards in the fields of global health and international emergency/disaster response.
This training will provide participants with an entry-level understanding of the international response environment, as well as practical issues that will arise in the field, preparing them to safely deploy as part of an international humanitarian or disaster response team.
The course includes such topics as:
- International Response – United Nations Disaster Assessment and Coordination Systems
- WHO and Cluster Coordination System
- International Deployments and Foreign Travel Considerations
- Packing and Preparing for Deployment
- Personal Safety and Security during Deployment
- Safety and Security Site Assessments
- Health Concerns regarding Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH)
- Cultural Competencies during International Response
- Crew Resource Management
- Psychological First Aid
- Introduction to International Medical Standards (MSF, SPHERE Project)
- Standard Curriculum for Basic First Aid (CPR, Care for Choking Patient, etc.)
- Critical Resources and International Response Considerations
- Medical Planning, Intelligence, and Communications
- Field Triage and Patient Assessment
- Patient Packaging, Moving, Lifting, and Transport
- Medical Management of Trauma and Burn Patients
- Communicable & Infectious Diseases
- Splinting and Immobilization
- Hemorrhage Control
- Maternal-Child Health
- Environmental Emergencies
Both training modules are centered on EPECARE’s core belief that humanitarian response should be founded upon a community-specific needs assessment, and that any interventions or response efforts should be made in conjunction with local leadership’s approval and the identified needs of community members.
The cost for this course is $50 and participants will have the chance to deploy to Haiti with EPECARE to practice the skills they have learned. EPECARE will provide fundraising opportunities to defer the additional cost per student required to cover subsidized room, board and security while students will be responsible for their own air fare.